Start of a Memorable Trip

Start of a Memorable Trip

Friday, July 16, 2010

Savignyplatz



We scrambled to make Falke before closing time and I made my first purchase of the vacation with some running stuff and socks. Kim threw in some leggings and they stayed open for us for a bit.

We then decided to make a more concerted effort to find Cafe Florian in Savignyplatz and succeeded. The street stops as you approach the square but continues later. This time we found it and lucked out with an outdoor table for our last dinner of the vacation. The area has tons of outdoor spots and is very lively. We were tempted by Indian and by a tapas place, but decided to go with the earlier recommendation of a typical German place. The table was reserved for 9 but we agreed we wouldn't over stay our welcome. The half bottle of Chablis Premier Cru Montmain 2007 has arrived and the food has been ordered. I went for chicken curry salad and salmon trout and Kim ordered herring and lamb. The bread and dips are here so I'm trying to remember the old saying that "my eyes are bigger than my stomach" which I heard many times at Miss Montreal and later at Pumpernick's. (I'm blanking on the place that later became Murray's. Macy's?)

One other thought regarding today. We overheard a discussion in a group tour. At one point a person in the tour complained that Germany is being held down and that reparations being paid to Israel are the main problem. Sigh.

But that is not my lasting impression at all of today's Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment