Start of a Memorable Trip

Start of a Memorable Trip

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Remaining Courses and Wines of the Best Meal of All Time

Next I had a Kapelle Pinot Noir 2005 by Henrik Mobitz. This came with the main course. We actually miscalculated as what we thought was the first course was the second "freebie" from the chef. The last pre-dessert course, which qualifies as the main, is lamb with caesar salad, crispy polenta and soft polenta together with asparagus and other fresh vegetables.

Who knew German wines could be this good? Each one is wonderful.

I think we've decided that there is no happy medium. We should eat like this once every six months, eat simply the rest of the time and never go out for anything less than this-we will see if we stick to this plan.

And for dessert, the waitress asked if we preferred cheese or something sweet. I looked at her as if she asked me whether I preferred life or death. (Not quite-I actually do like cheese-but this meal calls for dessert.). Before I signed off on the point I asked if she would tell us what the dessert would be, and she said she would, but we decided to be surprised.

The dessert had a cherry theme (and we both love cherries): Cherry ragout with Russian foam, cherry marzipan, cherry ice cream and almond cherry cake. The wine was a 2002 Reinbold Haart Domherr aged sweet wine. It was beautiful and not too sweet and went well with the cherries.

Everything has been spectacular. Who knew such a wonderful food and wine experience would be in Berlin?

I'm waiting for the bill. Remember Europe on $5 a day? This place would not make any updated book of that nature. And for once every 25 years, that's more than OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment