Start of a Memorable Trip

Start of a Memorable Trip

Monday, July 12, 2010

Another View of the Same Day

We are finally in our very modern little hotel in Berlin. I am quite pleased with myself as I fished this one out of Fodor's guide book.

Mark decided it would be fun to take the subway to the Prague station, which required that he schlep two cases in wheels down the cobbled lanes and hoist the cases down flights of stairs, while I pulled his carry on with my oversized Longchamp purse on my shoulder. We made it to the station in plenty of time and then stood for close to an hour waiting for our train to come up on the bill board.

We shared a compartment with a couple in their sixties, from Scotland. The train was unbearably hot, the toilets were dirty and nobody knew where to sit. It turns out we didn't reserve seats but the Scottish couple had done so and paid more.

We ate sandwiches which looked like they were preserved from the pre-war era.

We arrived a little later than scheduled at the Hauptbanhof, the main station redone for the 2006 FIFA World Cup of soccer. Here Mr. "I Like a Challenge," who was suddenly not bothered by the 37 degree heat, decided we would take the subway and then walk to our hotel. We arrived on a tree lined street close to the Kurfurstendamm, which is the main designer shopping district.

Our young cute gentleman concierge gave us a brief history of the Brandenburger Hof. It was redone in Bauhaus design after the Wall came down. Even though the hotel is located in the old West Berlin, the wall prevented construction. Breakfast is served around an open garden court yard, and there is a Michelin one star restaurant, where the Swedish chef experiments with aromas and, according to Mr. Cutie, it is fun to play around with the tastes.

I have just had a snack brought to the room, which I am sure Mark has described. More important to me was the Etro products in the shower.

I wonder what my husband has in mind to make up for the mummified sandwiches.
K

No comments:

Post a Comment